Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Single Parent....

I have often daydreamed of being a single parent with joint custody of my sweet kids.  To the point of being envious of those that had scheduled breaks from their little ones weekly with no worries of the welfare of them while they are gone.  The greener grass of a few peaceful nights would make those not so peaceful ones easier.....  my greener grass was scorched beyond recovery this week. The last five days I have been attempting to live the life of a single parent! You know the kind with NO form of a second parent... NO one else to help.... sole custody of a 3 and 5 year-old, with all the glorious unspoken responsibilities that go with parenthood.  I definitely was slapped in the face with reality when my husband took a short (much needed and deserved) vacation to ride his motorcycle through the Mojave Desert.  Parenthood responsibilities magnified in his absent, expected with one parent gone, but my kids craziness did also!  I would have turned my kids into zombie t.v. junkies if it wasn't for my sweet mom who unexpectedly rode her white horse over to help me!  Thank you mom!  
My sweet Mom with Vander & Phineus!  
The second day my husband was gone I was going to show the world or prove to myself that this single parenting thing was easy and could be done in style.  I put on my skinny J-Crew jeans, basic black long sleeve tee, Gsus coat and sassy black ankle boots.  I looked like I had my shit together from head to toe.  I even got my kids dressed all little boy cute and voyaged out to a French bakery to have a good time. It took me twenty minutes to get them in the van and by that time Vander's coat was off and Phineus was missing a shoe and screaming.  I didn't care I was determined to have fun and look good doing it!  I promised them treats, cause you know sugar always cures the craziness.... yeah right, I signed my own admittance slip into a mental ward.  We finally get to Janjou Patisserie and I think I have everything under control.  I did, that is until we get inside and it's starkly white and filled with NO CHILDREN!  Yeah, I pounce into this beautiful bakery with two ginger boys, who are kids, and ya know boys will be boys and it was like walking into a library filled with professional students.  OMG, and both my kids want chocolate, not only chocolate but chocolate with caramel surrounded by buttery yummy flaky pastry crust. Mouths watering, my kids were so excited and freaking out!  We order and sit at one of the gorgeous white tables and within second’s pastry crust is flying and those cute little hands have melted chocolate all over them.  It was a storm of yumminess and smiles, at least at our table.  I promptly got a to-go bag and took the party outside and slowly back home.  This adventure took only about fifteen minutes but by the time I got home I was exhausted.  Cute outfit off, sweats on and kid madness resumed where messes are welcomed and easily cleaned up….. at home!
Vander drooling at Janjou Patisserie 

A huge you all are amazing goes out to all you single parents out there.  I will definitely be lending a more helpful hand to those single parents in my life!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post because it put a smile on my face and made me giggle. Well, you did succeed in having fun with your little men. Thanks for sharing your mini-adventure.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sharon! I had many adventures with the little men while my husband was on vacation! I am so happy he is finally home and I love and appreciate him beyond words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lovely SIL can relate, I'm sure. Grace. It ain't easy! Grammy J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man those are some cute little men!! Love that you are staying fashionable.

    ReplyDelete